- RT @ScareLosAngeles: It's Alive! It's Alive! The NEW ScareLA blog is...Live! Check it out for all things Halloween & #ScareLA exclusives: h… 07:00:10 PM April 15, 2014 from Twitter for iPhone ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @ScareLosAngeles: Get involved with ScareLA! Wanna teach a class? Build an on-site attraction? Fill out this form: http://t.co/gEzMjp1Qn… 06:59:59 PM April 15, 2014 from Twitter for iPhone ReplyRetweetFavorite
- “@ScaryVisions: Another pic from the #hauntshow with @TPAMagazine (I'm on the right.) http://t.co/pJIzDZU4xh” Great new friends! 04:15:53 PM April 15, 2014 from Twitter for iPhone in reply to ScaryVisions ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Universal Orlando’s Cabana Bay Beach Resort is Now Open
- High Octane Fast & Furious Thrill Ride Races onto the Scene at Universal Studios Hollywood in Electrifying New 3D-HD Attraction Featuring Original Cast from Universal Pictures’ Global Blockbuster Film Franchise, Summer 2015
- Disney Legends and Luminaries Celebrate Theme Park Favorites of Yesteryear at D23 Destination D: Attraction Rewind
- Aquatica, SeaWorld’s Waterpark Tops Off Ihu’s Breakaway Falls
- Disney Parks Celebrates the 50th Anniversary of ‘it’s a small world,’ Invites the World to Join a Global Sing-along at SmallWorld50.com
Tag Archives: Home Haunt
One of my favorite aspects of Halloween and the way that Theme Park Adventure covers it each year are the home haunts in Southern California that we have the opportunity to visit and see first-hand. One home haunt that we first visited in 2012 is The Haunted Diary, located in Hollywood, just minutes away from Universal Studios. Each season, The Haunted Diary takes on a new theme; in 2013, it became Dark Carnival.
Without fail, I am always asked what some of the best family-friendly haunts are in the Los Angeles area each Halloween season. And without fail, Boney Island is always an instant response to that question. Actually, one of the finest home haunts anywhere, Boney Island should be on everyone’s October list, regardless of age. It’s that good, and absolutely chalked full of incredible heart and soul. Since our first visit to this Sherman Oaks spectral spooktacular in 2011, Boney Island has been a… permanent resident on Theme Park Adventure’s annual Halloween event tour!
I’ve said this over and over lately – the line between home haunt and pro haunt has become increasingly blurred over the past several years, as folks become more savvy and technology becomes more easily accessible to the general public when it comes to Halloween. Such is the case with The Backwoods Maze, a home haunt of epic proportions in a quiet neighborhood in Burbank, California.
One of the things that I have said numerous time in the past couple years is how sophisticated and professional home haunts are becoming each passing season. Whether a crazy extravagant tech fest, a highly-detailed yard scene, or an honest to god maze, Theme Park Adventure has seen the art of home haunting improve and mature so greatly in just the past few years that it’s really exciting to see what comes next! One of our favorite home haunts is Perdition Home, located in Yorba Linda, California. This group of haunters constructs a full-scale maze in their driveway each Halloween, and it is nothing but badass!
One of the most outrageously amazing home haunts Theme Park Adventure has ever seen is The House at Haunted Hill, located in a quiet neighborhood in Woodland Hills, California. As Universal Studios Hollywood’s Halloween Horror Nights is the must-see large-scale haunt spectacle each year in Los Angeles, House at Haunted Hill is the must-see home haunt spectacle in the Greater LA Area every October.
Each Halloween season, Theme Park Adventure has its finger firmly on the pulse of Southern California regarding what happening. We visit all types of haunts during the season, from theme parks and stand alone attractions to yard displays. In 2013, TPA visited 30 different haunts between the end of September and the beginning of November. While we definitely get around, there are inevitably, some haunts we simply miss due to scheduling and time – or the lack thereof. We were aware of Big Worm’s Sherwood Scare home haunt/maze, but simply couldn’t fit it in to our initial Halloween schedule of events. However, once the second half of October rolled around, it was clear by the personal text messages and fan comments on Twitter that Sherwood Scare was not to be missed. Because of the amount of messages we received, we monkeyed with our schedule and fit Sherwood Scare in to the mix. Needless to say, we had high expectations…
As we rolled up to our first serious yard display of the Halloween season – Mourning Rose Manor in Simi Valley – I was suddenly overcome by an anxious feeling welling up from my gut. Not a bad feeling – but rather, that magical wonderment that I felt each season when houses were decorated nicely, be it for Halloween or Christmas. Nothing makes me feel like a kid again more than the holidays when people take the time and make an effort to set up a display in their yard for everyone to enjoy!
Here is a list of most of the major haunted attractions and home haunts in Southern California for 2012. If we missed a haunt, please contact us and it will be added to the list.
KNOTT’S HALLOWEEN HAUNT
Buena Park, CA
UNIVERSAL STUDIOS HALLOWEEN HORROR NIGHTS HOLLYWOOD
Universal City, CA