The magic of the Disneyland Resort Diamond Celebration will come to life as a float in the 127th Rose Parade, broadcast live from Pasadena, Calif., on Jan. 1, 2016. The parade will step off at 8 a.m. (PST) with the theme Find Your Adventure, and the Disneyland Resort float honors some of the most exciting adventures awaiting guests at the Happiest Place on Earth.
At the heart of the float will be a sparkling recreation of Sleeping Beauty Castle, complete with Mickey Mouse and Minnie Mouse welcoming everyone to the Disneyland Resort Diamond Celebration. Flanking the castle are two adventures that are brought to life at the Disneyland Resort. The first comes from the world of Frozen and depicts Elsa’s ice castle – straight out of Arendelle – accompanied by Anna, Elsa, Olaf and Kristoff. A separate adventure depicted on the float makes the jump to hyperspace and travels to a galaxy far, far away for a thrilling adventure dedicated to the Star Wars films and exciting new Star Wars experiences at Disneyland Park.
Since its premiere in spring 2015, the 60th Anniversary Diamond Celebration has thrilled resort guests with sparking décor and spectacular entertainment, including the after-dark Paint the Night parade, Disneyland Forever fireworks and World of Color – Celebrate! The celebration will continue to dazzle Disneyland Resort guests through Sept. 5, 2016.
Since the blockbuster success of the Disney animated motion picture Frozen in 2013, Disneyland Resort guests have enjoyed multiple opportunities to relive the adventures of Anna and Elsa – in character encounters at Disney California Adventure Park, on floats in Mickey’s Soundsational Parade and Paint the Night in Disneyland, in a live Frozen show at Fantasy Faire in Disneyland, and in a Frozen sing-along celebration. An all-new Frozen-inspired stage musical will open in summer 2016 in the Hyperion Theater at Disney California Adventure.
The recent debut of Season of the Force in Tomorrowland at Disneyland has taken guests into the Star Wars galaxy with new experiences as well as enhancements to popular attractions. Star Wars Launch Bay immerses guests in familiar Star Wars-inspired locations where they may encounter favorite characters, take a peek behind-the-scenes of the Star Wars films, and find special exhibits and collectibles. Hyperspace Mountain and a new Star Tours destination from Star Wars: The Force Awakens take guests on thrilling journeys. Additional highlights include Star Wars: Path of the Jedi, a short film connecting iconic scenes from the Star Wars saga, and a reimagined Jedi Training: Trials of the Temple show featuring new characters and a new villain. Star Wars fans are anxiously awaiting the Dec. 18 release of Star Wars: The Force Awakens, as well as the new Star Wars-themed land coming to both Disneyland and Walt Disney World resorts. Work on the new land will begin in 2016.
The appearance of the Disneyland Resort Diamond Celebration float in the 2016 Rose Parade marks the continuation of a tradition Disney relationship with the Tournament of Roses that began in 1938.
- The relationship began when characters from the newly premiered Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937) were prominently featured in the parade.
- Each year since 1960, the Rose Queen and her Royal Court, along with the competing Rose Bowl football teams, have visited Disneyland Resort.
- In 1966, Walt Disney served as Grand Marshall of the parade. Roy E. Disney, Walt’s nephew and the head of Disney Animation, served as Grand Marshall in 2000.
- Members of the Disney creative team from Walt Disney Imagineering and Disney Entertainment have served as float judges numerous times.
- In 2004, Disneyland Resort presented A Sudden Drop in Pitch. At the time, it was the tallest float in Rose Parade history (110 feet, with live performers at the top). The float’s title played off that year’s theme of Music, Music, Music, and the float was inspired by The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror attraction, which opened in Disney California Adventure that spring.
- In 2005, the 50th Anniversary of Disneyland was celebrated with both a dazzling Rose Parade Opening Show and a spectacular castle float called The Happiest Celebration on Earth. Mickey Mouse served as Grand Marshall.
- In 2006, the longest float (150 feet) in Rose Parade history, entitled The Most Magical Celebration on Earth, celebrated Disney Parks around the world.
- In 2013, the characters and fun of Cars Land raced into Pasadena for Destination: Cars Land, a float showcasing the landmarks of the newly opened land in Disney California Adventure. The 125-foot long float featured replicas of Lightning McQueen and Sally recreating their fun-spirited road race from the first Cars movie. Mater, the tow truck, followed along behind the float.
- In addition to Rose Parade float entries, Disney has presented many Rose Parade Opening Shows through the years, celebrating such milestones as the 35th Anniversary of Disneyland in 1990, the debut of the Indiana Jones Adventure in Disneyland in 1995, and the motion picture premiere of Fantasia 2000, in 2000.
Fans can follow Theme Park Adventure via social media on Facebook, Instagram (search our posts with #ThemeParkAdventure), Twitter, and Periscope for live streams of our travels and special events! Our most popular and unique Periscope broadcasts are archived and may be viewed on our Katch channel.